Thursday 15 December 2011

Two block linocut

Multi-block printing means you can have different colours in your prints. It also means separate plates for each colour.

Here you can see an example by my heroine, Lilli Tschudi.













Picturing which part of the image you have to carve and how the two (or more) colours will combine, and making sure they register in the right place, is complex. Fun, but complex.

These are the two plates, carved on Japanese vinyl. - I had to finish the second at home.











This is an image pinched from a painting by German expressionist artist Kirchner. (I don't like copying other artists much, though it is educational, but sometimes during workshops and work you don't have time to think ideas up.) A girl on a sofa with stripey dress & stripey socks, a little cat curled up next to her, I felt an affinity. Plus the stripes would translate well onto a print.

I I only got one plate finished in time and decided to print it up by itself in one colour, just to see. Which do you prefer?



































4 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, do you create the second block by printing the first block onto it?

    I like the blue I think best... kind of moody and luminescent simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You print the first block onto paper, then you take the print which is still wet with ink and run in through the press on top of the second block. When the ink has dried a little you carve the second block.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out when I print them together now.

    Thanks for the input! I always do black and white, but when I see other people's beautiful work in colour it makes me think I must try to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first dark greenish one is my favorite. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete