Tuesday 28 January 2014

Wishy washy watercolour

I was sitting in the corner of my favourite cafe enjoying their coffee when I thought  I MUST PAINT THIS.

It's not what I usually do because it is ambitious - involving perspective, and complexity on a scale I don't usually like to tangle with.

I might enter it for the John Ruskin "Recording Britain Now" competition, which has a fairly relaxed brief (contemporary visions of ... urban, rural or social environment. Drawings, paintings, watercolours, prints, textiles, digital art and mixed media...)

Not that I think it's all that (not how I pictured it, it is a bit disappointingly wishy washy,which I know that watercolour doesn't have to be) but it is dawning gradually that at some point you have to start showing other people what you've made.  And this is only a tenner to enter.

One of the people at the library bought my book, I made one for her as well as for the library. That is to say, *ahem* "I accepted a commission" and "my work is in private collections". It was a momentous, um, moment. Because I'd sold something I'd made. I always think I'm not ready, it's not good enough. But you can't be a closet bedroom artist, you need an audience, they're the other side of the equation. I need to do more of that.

Anyway, what do you think of it so far?  I can hear our tutor, who gives good quote and whose voice will be in my head forever now, saying "where does the eye  want to spend time?"  And where not...  There is a danger with painting of going on and on and on and reworking it until you've obliterated it with paint. There's an art in knowing when to stop.






No comments:

Post a Comment