Sunday 15 December 2013

New zine

Over the last year I have made a 180 degree turnaround on Peter Blake, from thinking he was a lucky sod who was in the right place at the right time, to realising in fact he's a genius, an amazing artist and popular just because he's really, really good.

I bought his illustrated book of Under Milk Wood, which has been a lifelong project (I'm really hoping the exhibition in Cardiff will travel to London eventually, though he says when the exhibition is over he might carry on working on the pictures afterwards - it really is a lifelong project).

It is beautiful.  and it made me think about Laugharne and all the place we used to visit in Wales. It gave me an idea for a little artist book/comic/zine, which I'm going to make and maybe even try to get someone else to publish.  One of the things I like about his work is the way he mixes it up, with collage, painting, printmaking, photography, bricolage... Whatever works goes in the mix.

This is my first image - it's Dylan Thomas' house in Laugharne seen from the beach, brush & ink.




No comments:

Post a Comment